openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Sutter <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] release openjpa-2.2.0?
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2012 16:02:49 GMT
Hi Mark,
You're on the right track.  You can browse the OpenJPA svn repository to
see how we've done it in the past.  For example, each of our major releases
is always tagged:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openjpa/tags

And, corresponding to most of these releases is a service branch:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openjpa/branches

Mainline development continues on trunk.  So, once we cut the 2.2.0
release, then trunk becomes 2.3.0-SNAPSHOT.  That is, trunk is working
towards the next 2.3.0 release.

Each of the service branches has an owning manager.  That manager normally
creates and maintains that service branch.  Nothing goes into that service
branch without the owning manager's signoff.

This approach allows multiple organizations to own their service branches,
if desired.  So, after the 2.2.0 release is complete, we normally create
the 2.2.x service branch.  But, if there is a reason for you to maintain a
2.2.0-mt service branch, there is nothing stopping you.  It's quite
flexible.

At some point, there may be a determination to also create a service
release off the branch.  For example, you'll notice that we have created a
2.1.1 release based off the 2.1.x service branch.

Make sense?  This is the approach we have used for several releases and
it's been working for the OpenJPA development team.

Here are a few links that help describe our process:
http://openjpa.apache.org/release-management.html
http://openjpa.apache.org/openjpa-release-policy.html

Kevin