openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Sutter <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: H2 poor performance?
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2012 17:48:52 GMT
That is interesting data, Francesco.  Since the actual query processing
seems to take less time with H2 (vs MySQL), but the overall time of the
test takes more time with H2 (vs MySQL), my next guess is with Connection
management.  Maybe the cost of creating Connections is much more expensive
with H2.  I would also lump in the creation of the EntityManagers, but that
should be constant between H2 and MySQL.  Except for the creation and
management of the database Connection.

So, you could try a couple of things.  One thing would be to utilize DBCP
for pooling your Connections [1].  OpenJPA does not provide connection
pooling.  We rely on DBCP or an Application Server to provide that level of
function.  After the initial creation of the Connections, then the pooling
and sharing of connections would be a constant between H2 and MySQL.

Depending on your test application, the other thing you might try is the
use of the ConnectionRetainMode set to "always" [2].  If you are constantly
deleting and re-creating EMs, then this property may not be of use.  But,
if you are using a single EM for your tests, then keeping a single
Connection around should help with your overall through-put.

Good luck,
Kevin

[1]
http://openjpa.apache.org/builds/latest/docs/manual/manual.html#ref_guide_integration_dbcp