openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1227170 - /openjpa/branches/2.1.x/openjpa-kernel/src/main/java/org/apache/openjpa/meta/
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 02:16:25 GMT
I've been disappointed in the performance of Java's inbuilt encode/
decode functions.

If you know that you have a single-byte character set, it's much much
much much much faster to simply look up bytes in a character-to-byte
array and look up characters in a byte-to-character array.

So no, the inbuilt functions are not optimized.