openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: H2 poor performance?
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2012 15:47:20 GMT
On 24/01/2012 15:54, Kevin Sutter wrote:
> First of all, Congratulations on your migration from Hibernate to OpenJPA.
>   I'm glad to hear that things worked out well for you during this effort.

Hi Kevin,
thanks for your answer.

> As far as H2 performance...  My guess is that the H2 Dictionary may not
> have been kept up to date with improvements to H2 features and SQL
> improvements.  These dictionaries have been maintained as needs arise and
> as expertise provides input and feedback.  For example, our DB2 customers
> provide input for the DB2 dictionary, Oracle users provide input for the
> Oracle dictionary, etc.  I looked back on my notes and I don't see an
> expert identified for H2.  Would you like to provide that service?  :-)

Well, I am not an H2 expert at all: I am just using it for integration
tests...
Anyway, if I ever find something interesting on this topic, be sure that
I'll do my best for providing an adequate patch ;-)

> Since the performance of MySQL and Postgres seem to be acceptable, I would
> assume that the deficiencies are probably localized to the dictionary.  I
> would start by turning on Trace while running your test bucket.  The full
> Trace output will show the timings for executing the various SQL.  Maybe
> you'll find SQL being generated that is not efficient for H2.  You could
> also review the H2 Dictionary and see if some of the basic properties may
> not be set correctly for H2.  Maybe comparing MySQL and/or Postgres
> dictionaries and trace output with H2's.

Following your advices, I've put log4jdbc [2] at work and found that,
quite interestingly, the total time spent in querying H2 is quite less
than the total time spent in querying MySQL.
Since, as said before, the total time taken by tests is less with MySQL
than with H2, I think that there must be some kind of latency.

Does this say something more?

Thanks.
Regards.

[2] http://code.google.com/p/log4jdbc/