openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] JDO usage end-of-life?
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:11:19 GMT
Hi strub,

On Oct 11, 2011, at 10:26 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:

> There is a JDO-3.0 spec out there since almost a year now. I'm not
> sure if we can/like to catch up.

There have been non-trivial but minor changes since JDO 2.0. IMHO
"Catching up" would be a small task compared to re-activating the JDO
support in OpenJPA.

> Isn't there a pure JDO impl at db.apache.org which is up2date anyway?

No, the reference implementation for JDO is/has been DataNucleus. JDO
1.0 had a reference implementation that didn't support relational
databases, just a "toy" key/value store.

Best,

Craig

> LieGrue,
> strub

>>> processing [1] reminded me that we still have old remnants of JDO
>>> (and
>>> Kodo)
>>> in the OpenJPA code base.  OpenJPA has never claimed support for
>>> JDO (nor
>>> Kodo).  Way back when, BEA provided a JDO implementation as part
>>> of their
>>> offering that sat on top of OpenJPA.  As far as I know, BEA (and
>>> Oracle)
>>> only support the 1.1.x service stream of OpenJPA.  So, if we did
>>> this in
>>> the
>>> 2.x stream, there should be no effects to that set of users.
>>>
>>> Would there be a concern with the current users of OpenJPA to
>>> clean up the
>>> code base and remove these JDO/Kodo references?  From a JPA/OpenJPA
>>> perspective, you should see no differences in functionality.
>>>
>>> Like I said, Marc's posting prompted me to revisit this topic.  I'm
>> just
>>> exploring the option with no immediate plans of actually doing the
>>> work...
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Kevin
>>>
>>> [1]