openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Sutter <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] JDO usage end-of-life?
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 13:18:16 GMT
Hi,
Sorry to cross post to both forums, but I wanted to ensure that I hit
everybody that might have an opinion on this JDO topic...

Is the JDO personality of OpenJPA still being utilized?  Marc's recent post
about possibly pulling in javax.jdo.* packages during the enhancement
processing [1] reminded me that we still have old remnants of JDO (and Kodo)
in the OpenJPA code base.  OpenJPA has never claimed support for JDO (nor
Kodo).  Way back when, BEA provided a JDO implementation as part of their
offering that sat on top of OpenJPA.  As far as I know, BEA (and Oracle)
only support the 1.1.x service stream of OpenJPA.  So, if we did this in the
2.x stream, there should be no effects to that set of users.

Would there be a concern with the current users of OpenJPA to clean up the
code base and remove these JDO/Kodo references?  From a JPA/OpenJPA
perspective, you should see no differences in functionality.

Like I said, Marc's posting prompted me to revisit this topic.  I'm just
exploring the option with no immediate plans of actually doing the work...

Thanks,
Kevin

[1]
http://openjpa.208410.n2.nabble.com/weird-JDO-Exception-when-using-OpenJPA-2-Enhancer-tc6870122.html