openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Pinaki Poddar <ppod...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] JDO usage end-of-life?
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2011 16:14:40 GMT
I do not see need to remove JDO support from OpenJPA for following reasons

a) there are current JDO usage/users -- may not be as predominant as JPA
community, but they are there.
Google AppEngine environment, for example, supports JDO for persistent
services. I have also seen active JDO users in this forum.

b) OpenJPA architecture had always maintained the goal of being
facade-agnostic (i.e. JPA, JDO or something else) and datastore-agnostic
(i.e. whether JDBC or NoSQL or OODB). That goal was not easy to achieve but
had been executed with a degree of discipline that, imo, is one of its
unique and key strength. Letting go that primary strength would not be a
positive step.

c) I have come across migration scenarios where an existing JDO schema is
being ported to JPA schema. Those use cases may be even more frequent as JPA
gains more traction. Such migration scenario are supported in current model.

d) The reported error that prompted this discussion is not a critical
failure. Possibly could be fixed with moderate effort. It does not seem to
indicate that we should throw JDO under the bus.

-----
Pinaki Poddar
Chair, Apache OpenJPA Project