openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Umashanthi Pavalanathan <umashant...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ideas for Google Summer of Code 2011
Date Sat, 26 Mar 2011 13:29:03 GMT
On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 9:10 PM, Umashanthi Pavalanathan <
umashanthip@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jeremy,
>
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Jeremy Bauer <techhusky@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Umashanthi,
>>
>> >Further I went through the Javadocs of OpenJPA annotations you mentioned
>> and
>> >the JPA's XML-ORM XML scheme. I understood that the requirement is to
>> create
>> >an XML schema for the custom annotations of OpenJPA, similar to the one
>> >provided for default annotations of JPA, mentioned in section 12.3 of the
>> >spec. Did I get it right?
>>
>> You got it right.  One part of the effort is to create a schema similar to
>> the orm schema defined in 12.3 of the 2.0 spec. I have a few ideas as to
>> the
>> different approaches that one could take, but I'll let you think on it and
>> come up with ideas.  I don't want to hinder your creativity.  :-) But,
>> I'll
>> be happy to provide suggestions if you'd like.
>>

> Hope I can come up with some ideas when I proceed with the findings...
>

>> >Currently I'm continuing with the spec and samples. I would like to read
>> >more details about the custom annotations of OpenJPA. It'll be great if
>> you
>> >can provide any related resources, if available.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I've found that resources for the extensions are lacking
>> JavaDoc, documentation, and in some cases, example usage/testing.  You may
>> find some annotations within OpenJPA documentation[1].  I've found that
>> the
>> best resource is our jUnits.  Search for the annotation and then track the
>> persistent class where it is used back to the test case(s).  As you go
>> through this exercise, updates to the annotation JavaDoc would be hugely
>> valuable as well.
>>

> Thanks for pointing out the user manual; it has good descriptions for some
> annotations. I started with the approach you mentioned and started to
> document resources (Java docs, user manual, code usages) related to each
> custom annotation. You can find the published version of the GoogleDoc[1].
> I'll be updating this doc for all annotations and will look at the usages in
> code, to find any possible additions to the JavaDoc.

My apologies; I was not active for a while due to my University
examinations. Since I'm done with that I've resumed this effort.
I've done with tabulating all the annotations extensions to the GoogeDoc.
Now I will start with understanding each annotation extension using the
JavaDoc, user manual and usages in the source code; as Jeremy suggested I
will also add more descriptions to the JavaDoc if there's any lack of
content.

Since the Google Summer of Code application period is going to start soon, I
would like to know the process for marking this as a GSoC project. I noticed
that many other ASF projects are following last year's method of adding
project ideas to the JIRA and tagging it with 'gsoc2011'. Is it the same
with OpenJPA?

Jeremy, I hope you will be able to mentor this project.

Is there any other procedures to be followed along with preparing the
 project proposal? I would like to hear the thoughts of the community
regarding this.

Thanks in advance,
~Umashanthi