openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Umashanthi Pavalanathan <umashant...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ideas for Google Summer of Code 2011
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2011 15:40:09 GMT
Hi Jeremy,

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Jeremy Bauer <techhusky@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Umashanthi,
>
> >Further I went through the Javadocs of OpenJPA annotations you mentioned
> and
> >the JPA's XML-ORM XML scheme. I understood that the requirement is to
> create
> >an XML schema for the custom annotations of OpenJPA, similar to the one
> >provided for default annotations of JPA, mentioned in section 12.3 of the
> >spec. Did I get it right?
>
> You got it right.  One part of the effort is to create a schema similar to
> the orm schema defined in 12.3 of the 2.0 spec. I have a few ideas as to
> the
> different approaches that one could take, but I'll let you think on it and
> come up with ideas.  I don't want to hinder your creativity.  :-) But, I'll
> be happy to provide suggestions if you'd like.

Hope I can come up with some ideas when I proceed with the findings...

> >Currently I'm continuing with the spec and samples. I would like to read
> >more details about the custom annotations of OpenJPA. It'll be great if
> you
> >can provide any related resources, if available.
>
> Unfortunately, I've found that resources for the extensions are lacking
> JavaDoc, documentation, and in some cases, example usage/testing.  You may
> find some annotations within OpenJPA documentation[1].  I've found that the
> best resource is our jUnits.  Search for the annotation and then track the
> persistent class where it is used back to the test case(s).  As you go
> through this exercise, updates to the annotation JavaDoc would be hugely
> valuable as well.

Thanks for pointing out the user manual; it has good descriptions for some
annotations. I started with the approach you mentioned and started to
document resources (Java docs, user manual, code usages) related to each
custom annotation. You can find the published version of the GoogleDoc[1].
I'll be updating this doc for all annotations and will look at the usages in
code, to find any possible additions to the JavaDoc.

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1ABqZlq5qwGORtbfin9_3h9FiymF506g-8IprJGwH9sY

Thanks,
~Umashanthi