openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Miłosz Tylenda <mtyle...@o2.pl>
Subject Re: Slow JDBC test suite
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2010 21:03:41 GMT
Hi Donald,

I ran the tests today and got the same slowdown. I haven't noticed any OOM symptoms although
I use the Sun JDK on a 2GB Linux. Maybe the overall memory consumption has increased, I once
had to close Eclipse during the "mvn install" but I am not very sure about that.

It looks to me that all JDBC tests are degraded equally rather then a few taking very long.

Interestingly, when I run only JDBC tests, on Oracle, I don't see any slowdown. Also, when
I launch an individual test case from Eclipse, the log message shows database/driver version
as usual.

Sorry for a response that late, I was out of computers recently.

Cheers,
Milosz

> This could also be caused by recent OOMs we've been seeing with the Sun
> JDK on Linux.  Have you been seeing any junit runs that fail with a
> GC/OOM error?  Are you still seeing a slowdown?  I'm trying to resolve
> the OOM problems, but it's slow going....
>

> -Donald
>

> On 10/2/10 10:48 PM, Donald Woods wrote:
> > I'm not seeing any slowdown with our nightly builds on Linux.
> >
> > Trunk - Derby w/ IBM 6 SDK
> > Oct  1  - 45m:14s
> > Sept 24 - 52m:33s
> >
> > The changes for DBCP started going in on Sept. 28 in r1002321.
> >
> > If you happened to pickup r1003657, then svn up to the latest to revert
> > the temp enhancer script changes.
> >

> > -Donald
> >

> > On 10/2/10 7:05 AM, Miłosz Tylenda wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I noticed the JDBC tests got much slower recently. When I compare the times
with logs I have from last days of August (unfortunately I don't have any from September),
the slowdown is around 3x. A similar slowdown is visible on Hudson builds too if you compare
2.0 and 2.1 builds.

> >> A log message which now is
> >>
> >> openjpa.jdbc.JDBC - Using dictionary class "org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.sql.DerbyDictionary".
> >>
> >> used to be
> >>
> >> openjpa.jdbc.JDBC - Using dictionary class "org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.sql.DerbyDictionary"
(Apache Derby 10.5.3.0 - (8029
> >> 17) ,Apache Derby Embedded JDBC Driver 10.5.3.0 - (802917)).
> >>
> >> The direct cause is we now pass a null connection to DBDictionaryFactory.newDBDictionary(JDBCConfiguration
conf, String dclass, String props, Connection conn). I suspect this is related to the recently
introduced DBCP datasources or JDBC 4 delegates but no luck with findings so far.

> >> Does someone hear a ringing bell? Maybe you have test suite logs from September
and can find out when this regression happened?