openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Pinaki Poddar <ppod...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Compiling a JConsole plugin
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2010 00:07:55 GMT

> My only concern is that separation of tools can lead to confusion.

Firstly if that is your 'only' concern -- it is good news. Confusion can be
resolved :)

> As a user how am I supposed to know where a given tool lives? To enhance I
> need to
> look at the runtime jar, to use the migration tool I need to look at the
> tools jar, etc, etc.

The currently kernel-resident tools require a face-lift. I remember a
thread of discussion where we talked about having a unified command-line
options, having the command-line tools self-describable and may be also a
graphical UI. All of these ergonomic extensions on the proven capabilities
of OpenJPA tools are better executed in a 'sand-box' like environment that
will enjoy higher velocity/fluidity. I think current tools repo is serving
that purpose well.

Once the activity gathers momentum and certain degree of solidity, then the
concerns you raise regarding the codebase location, issue tracking,
packaging etc would be more timely.

-----
Pinaki