openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Miłosz Tylenda <mtyle...@o2.pl>
Subject Re: Commons DBCP - upgrade to 1.4?
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2010 20:40:29 GMT
Hi Donald,

Yes, I am asking about trunk only.

If we stick with commons-dbcp-1.2.2:
+ Users can run openjpa-all and use connection pooling out-of-the-box on JDK5 and JDK6.
- The XML test case will fail on Oracle, actually it is worse as it hangs up the test suite
(we do not perform rollback on java.lang.Error?)
- Users who want to use JDBC 4 calls in their apps along with openjpa-all and connection pooling
will fail, they need to upgrade dbcp.

If we upgrade to commons-dbcp-1.4:
+ Users can use JDBC 4 along with openjpa-all and connection pooling out-of-the-box on JDK6.
+ No test suite problem.
- Users can't run openjpa-all and use connection pooling out-of-the-box on JDK5, need to downgrade
dbcp themselves.

The upgrade is debatable. Since in the other thread we voted to drop JDK5 support in trunk
and the move to JDBC 4 is likely to happen sooner or later I am in favor of doing the upgrade.

BTW, if commons-dbcp-1.4 jar was not compiled into JDK6 class file format, it could work with
JDK5 too. I was running JDBC 4 drivers in JDK5 with success, the same looks possible with
connection pooling/delegation.

Cheers,
Milosz

Dnia 13 września 2010 15:16 Donald Woods <dwoods@apache.org> napisał(a):

> I assume you're asking about trunk?  The only concern, is
> commons-dbcp-1.4 is ONLY supported on JDK6 and later, while the trunk
> code can still run on JDK5 (with the exception of a few JPA2 features.)
>
> It looked like we had enough support in another thread to drop JDK5
> support in trunk, but everyone needs to understand the JDK6 dependency
> and that our openjpa-all JAR will then only work on JDK6+....
>
> -Donald
>

> On 9/12/10 4:26 AM, Miłosz Tylenda wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > We use commons-dbcp 1.2.2 which implements JDBC 3 only. I am hit by this in OPENJPA-1691
- this would be the first JDBC 4 use in OpenJPA - and would try to upgrade commons-dbcp to
1.4 which implements JDBC 4 [1]. Does anyone see obstacles?