openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Commons DBCP - upgrade to 1.4?
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2010 21:05:00 GMT
OK, go ahead and open a JIRA and commit the commons-dbcp upgrade.
I'll open a separate one to "Drop JDK5 support" for any build and doc
updates (like removing the test-java5 profile.)

-Donald

On 9/13/10 4:40 PM, Miłosz Tylenda wrote:
> Hi Donald,
>
> Yes, I am asking about trunk only.
>
> If we stick with commons-dbcp-1.2.2:
> + Users can run openjpa-all and use connection pooling out-of-the-box on JDK5 and JDK6.
> - The XML test case will fail on Oracle, actually it is worse as it hangs up the test
suite (we do not perform rollback on java.lang.Error?)
> - Users who want to use JDBC 4 calls in their apps along with openjpa-all and connection
pooling will fail, they need to upgrade dbcp.

> If we upgrade to commons-dbcp-1.4:
> + Users can use JDBC 4 along with openjpa-all and connection pooling out-of-the-box on
JDK6.
> + No test suite problem.
> - Users can't run openjpa-all and use connection pooling out-of-the-box on JDK5, need
to downgrade dbcp themselves.

> The upgrade is debatable. Since in the other thread we voted to drop JDK5 support in
trunk and the move to JDBC 4 is likely to happen sooner or later I am in favor of doing the
upgrade.

> BTW, if commons-dbcp-1.4 jar was not compiled into JDK6 class file format, it could work
with JDK5 too. I was running JDBC 4 drivers in JDK5 with success, the same looks possible
with connection pooling/delegation.

> Cheers,
> Milosz
>

> Dnia 13 września 2010 15:16 Donald Woods <dwoods@apache.org> napisał(a):
>
>> I assume you're asking about trunk?  The only concern, is
>> commons-dbcp-1.4 is ONLY supported on JDK6 and later, while the trunk
>> code can still run on JDK5 (with the exception of a few JPA2 features.)
>>
>> It looked like we had enough support in another thread to drop JDK5
>> support in trunk, but everyone needs to understand the JDK6 dependency
>> and that our openjpa-all JAR will then only work on JDK6+....
>>
>> -Donald
>>

>> On 9/12/10 4:26 AM, Miłosz Tylenda wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> We use commons-dbcp 1.2.2 which implements JDBC 3 only. I am hit by this in OPENJPA-1691
- this would be the first JDBC 4 use in OpenJPA - and would try to upgrade commons-dbcp to
1.4 which implements JDBC 4 [1]. Does anyone see obstacles?