openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Sutter <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Memory leak
Date Wed, 25 Aug 2010 15:15:50 GMT
Hi Michael,
I sent this reply once already, but the dev@openjpa.apache.org site rejected
it for some reason.  I'll try again by doing a simple reply (with no
history)...

Hi Michael,
I didn't see the screen shots attached...  But, I looked at your
configuration.  One thing that jumped out at me is this property:

<entry key="openjpa.RuntimeUnenhancedClasses" value="supported" />

This indicates that you are running with the "not ready for prime time"
subclassing support.  For production environments, we do not recommend
running with this option.  WebSphere has even turned this off in their
environment to prevent users from accidentally running with this option.
And, most recently, OpenJPA 2.0 turned this off as the default to prevent
accidental usage.  Bottom line is that the enhancement processing is
preferred, both from a functional and performance standpoint.

I'm not positive that this is where the memory leak is coming from, but it's
an excellent first guess.  :-)  Especially since we do not perform any
memory leak tests with this option turned on.

My suggestion would be to turn this off.  I can't tell what version of
OpenJPA you are running with, so the safest way to turn it off is to set the
value to "warn" or "unsupported".  And, then use one of the enhancement
mechanisms [1] that fit your environment.  Since I don't know how well the
-javaagent meshes with the Spring environment, the best mechanism might be
to put the enhancement processing into your build.  If you want another read
on the enhancement processing, here's a blog post [2] that might help.

If you can try this and let us know if the memory leak still exists, that
would be great.  If it does exist only with the subclassing support, then it
probably won't get much attention.  If it does exist with enhancement, then
we'll be much more interested.

Thanks for your help,
Kevin

[1]