openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Linskey <plins...@gmail.com>
Subject prepared SQL bug / question
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2010 23:04:56 GMT
Hi,

I just ran into what I believe is a bug with the prepared SQL code. In PreparedQueryImpl.reparameterize(),
we have the following code:

>             if (ImplHelper.isManageable(val)) {
>                 setPersistenceCapableParameter(result, val, indices, broker);
>             } else if (val instanceof Collection) {
>                 setCollectionValuedParameter(result, (Collection)val, indices,
>                     key);
>             }

This does not work if the parameter is a collection of persistence-capable objects, as setCollectionValuedParameter
assumes that the values are not PCs.

Is this expected, or am I running into a limitation of the prepared SQL work?

I briefly looked at patching this by modifying / refactoring setPCParameter() so that I could
invoke it from setCollectionValuedParameter(), but I'm confused by another couple aspects
of the prepared SQL code that I wanted to get my head around first:

1. The query framework already knows how to convert a PC parameter into values; I'm a bit
surprised to see this code replicated in another part of the framework. Additionally, I was
surprised to see direct prepared SQL checks in the openjpa-persistence module -- seems like
this would pretty fully belong in openjpa-jdbc. Do we have any design discussions that I can
review to better understand the work?

2. My query looks something like this:

> select e from Entity e where e.child in :children

Then, I execute the query with a Set<Child>, where Child is a persistent type also.
The query is translated into a SELECT statement with a single parameter, as expected. However,
the Set<Child> value itself is un-boxed, and it looks like that (unboxed) value is pushed
down into the SELECT statement. Which, as far as I can tell, would mean that 'in' clauses
won't work as expected.

Have we done any testing with multi-valued 'in' clauses + prepared SQL?

Thanks,

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey