openjpa-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Michael Dick <michael.d.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] localized trace messages
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2010 19:33:29 GMT
On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Pinaki Poddar <ppoddar@apache.org> wrote:

>
>
> TRACE = Debug by the user
> DEBUG = Debug by the support/developer
>
> > Mike wrote:
> >  I submit that such messages are really info or warning messages (an
> > example that proves me wrong
> >  might be good).
>
> The example use case for TRACE is seeing how mapping strategy is getting
> decided or PCEnhancer working -- the monikers are familiar to the user
> (because s/he had specified it) -- and s/he is looking at the trace to
> decipher how the mapping annotations are being interpreted by OpenJPA (or
> not). The data presented in those messages are informative from a user
> point
> of view and *does not* expose the internal data structures as much.
>

I disagree that such information is often of use to a user. Certainly most
users are not concerned with how the PCEnhancer works, or _how_ a mapping
strategy is decided. The result of these operations may be interesting. E.g.
"OpenJPA cannot find a mapping strategy for field Foo.bar"  is interesting
to users and should be an INFO / WARNING message. "OpenJPA is using the
default mapping for field Foo.bar2 - no alternate mapping was specified" is
not interesting and should be trace.

I don't really see these examples as being justification for localizing
trace.


> DEBUG messages, on the other hand, is a tool for support/development --
> describes state of internal data structures if necessary (say state of a
> bit
> flag on when a flush is being called), no need to be localized/user
> focused.



TRACE has traditionally been localized and thousands of localized trace
> messages do exist in the code base is strong enough reason to retain that
> behavior. Any other choice now will offer the weird output where
> non-localized messages intermingle the localized messages.
>


>  If we feel a message is important enough to translate, then it should be
> > using either the INFO or WARN level.
>
> TRACE is not about importance of a message -- INFO is for that. TRACE is to
> expose the inner operational logic/flow to the user as much as possible
> without inundating with internal details.


> It is just the use of localized message in TRACE are not consistent. I
> > noticed that there are trace
> > records that are localized and some are not
>

> That is more of an oversight -- I had never noticed a non-localized message
> in OpenJPA till recently.
>

There are a few cases in 1.2.x which have been there for quite some time
(2008). Haven't checked 2.0.x, but there might be more there.  One could
argue that this indicates that localizing trace is a surprise to most
contributors.


> Please note that there are huge number of localized trace messages exists
> today. Someone must have been diligent enough to make that happen.
>

My guess is that all strings were arbitrarily localized at some point - just
a guess though.

> Historically, we made the following choices: 2. Don't bother localizing
> > trace statements,
>
> Not supported by code. See PCEnhancer.
>
> -----
> Pinaki
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://openjpa.208410.n2.nabble.com/DISCUSS-localized-trace-messages-tp4877982p5154475.html
> Sent from the OpenJPA Developers mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message