openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Sutter <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Logging settings
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 14:09:05 GMT
Hi Craig,
On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 12:21 AM, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com>wrote:

> Any ideas why adding properties to the command line or persistence.xml
> doesn't take effect for tests, but adding the properties to setup does work?

Nothing other than some ol' fashioned debugging...  :-)  As the OpenJPA
manual section [1] pointed out, any properties sent in via a Map when
creating the EMF/EM will override any previous settings, including the
persistence.xml.  So, at least that explains why calling setup() with
properties is picking up the settings like you requested.

Maybe there's something in the testcase setup processing that is deleting or
overriding any previously set properties (in order to make the tests
repeatable).  Or, maybe there's a bug in the way that the Map is processed
and it's accidentally overriding properties that are not meant to be
overridden.  This might just take some debugging to figure out why this
isn't working as expected.

Kevin

[1]
http://openjpa.apache.org/builds/latest/docs/manual/manual.html#ref_guide_conf_specify

> [...]

> "org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.sql.MySQLDictionary" (MySQL
> 5.1.41-ndb-7.1.2-beta-debug ,MySQL-AB JDBC Driver
> mysql-connector-java-5.1.12 ( Revision: ${bzr.revision-id} )).
> Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 10.698 sec
>
> I modified a test case to put the logging information into the setup string
> and this changed the behavior of the logger.
>
>    public void setUp() {
>        setUp(SQLBigIntegerIdEntity.class
>                , "openjpa.Log",
> "File=openjpaLogger.log,DefaultLevel=INFO,SQL=TRACE,JDBC=TRACE"
>                );
>    }
>
> Any ideas why adding properties to the command line or persistence.xml
> doesn't take effect for tests, but adding the properties to setup does work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Craig
>

> On Mar 8, 2010, at 2:25 PM, Kevin Sutter wrote:
>
>  Hi Craig,
>> We have found exceptions to the rules, but the order of property
>> configuration is documented in this section [1] of the manual.  Based on
>> what you have provided, my guess is that some of your persistence.xml
>> file(s) are overriding the system properties you are trying to set.
>>
>> I don't personally use the system properties, but I would guess you need
>> enclose the values in quotes.  So, I would try that for setting the
>> openjpa.Log property.
>>
>> Good luck!
>> Kevin
>>
>> [1]
>>
>> http://openjpa.apache.org/builds/latest/docs/manual/manual.html#ref_guide_conf_specify
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com
>> >wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to do a few simple things with logging, and having trouble.
>>>
>>> 1. Disable WARN messages from the enhancer.
>>>
>>> 2. Get SQL TRACE messages.
>>>
>>> I've tried unsuccessfully to get either of these to work. I'm using the
>>> standard OpenJPA logging, and get a few hundred messages out of the
>>> enhancer, so I know logging is basically working.
>>>
>>> Reading everything I can about the logging system, I tried to get the
>>> enhancer to stop logging WARN but only log ERROR:
>>>
>>> -Dopenjpa.Log=none
>>>
>>> I still get WARN messages; don't get any errors from the logging system;
>>> it
>>> looks like the enhancer is just ignoring this setting
>>>
>>> -Dopenjpa.Log=SQL=TRACE,File=openjpaLogger.log
>>>
>>> I get output sent to openjpaLogger.log file as expected, but nothing of
>>> interest. Just:
>>>
>>> 11  TRACE  [main] openjpa.Runtime - Default configuration information
>>> couldn't be loaded from any configuration provider.0  TRACE  [main]
>>> openjpa.Runtime - Default configuration information couldn't be loaded
>>> from
>>> any configuration provider.
>>> 17  WARN   [main] openjpa.Runtime - The configuration property named
>>> "openjpa.LogLevel" was not recognized and will be ignored, although the