openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Sutter <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject JIRA references in documentation?
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:16:01 GMT
Hi,
While I was looking for some information in our documentation in trunk, I
came across several references to JIRAs.  The section on Incompatibilities
[1] really stuck out for me.  I'm not thrilled with this approach.  For a
few reasons...

o  It forces customers to go find some other tool (JIRA) to look up
additional information.  We've found several Users and even some Dev mailing
list contributors that don't know anything about JIRA.

o  It makes us look "lazy".  Instead of completing the documentation, we're
telling customers to go on a scavenger hunt.

o  Some of the references are basically worthless.  For example, in the
section on detach [2], there is a reference to OPENJPA-1215 for more
testcases that document the situation.  But, there are no patches or commits
on this JIRA, so the reference is bogus.

Now that you know my thoughts on this approach, I'd like to hear your
comments and ideas.  If agreeable, then I'd also like to solicit volunteers
to get this cleaned up.

Thanks,
Kevin

[1]