openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From David Ezzio <dez...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenJPA for write more read less scenario
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2009 18:14:36 GMT
Hi Srinivasan,

Interesting question.  In considering the tradeoffs, consider
development cost not capabilities.

In terms of capabilities, since OpenJPA uses JDBC to communicate with
the database, any application can be as optimal in using JDBC as
OpenJPA, and in theory, even more so, since the application can make use
of idiosyncrasies of the application that might lead to greater
optimization than a general ORM layer would achieve.

In terms of development cost, much optimization in how it uses JDBC is
already baked into OpenJPA.  In particular you would pick up the use of
prepared statements rather than dynamic SQL in most cases, and probably
statement batching as well.

But you are right to suspect that more performance benefits are
available on the reading side than the writing side.

Hope this helps,

David

Srinivasan Krishnamoorthy wrote:
> Hi,
>  Is openJPA a good tool to use in write more, read less scenario? (eg: Activity Logging,
event logging etc).
> I think openJPA only suits when we have read more and write less kind of applications.
(Due to caching kind of functionality).