openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Daryl Stultz <>
Subject Re: SingleFieldManager.preFlushPC
Date Fri, 28 Aug 2009 16:40:17 GMT
On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Kevin Sutter <> wrote:

> Hi Daryl,
> An unmanaged object is one that has not been associated with a persistence
> context (entity manager).

Does this mean an object that has *never* been associated with an em, or one
that is not *currently* associated? Are you referring only to "new" objects?
Is a detached instance "unmanaged"?

> As indicated, there are several options
> for getting around this situation.  You could remember to call persist on
> this new ShippingInstructions object, or you could set the properties to do
> the cascade operation to the related fields.

Thus far the exception has occurred on 2 different properties of my main
entity (ShippingInstructions and, I don't know, "ShippedBy"). In both cases
ShippingInstructions and ShippedBy were entites already existing in the
database. This is indicated by the primary key that follows the
"FailedObject" (1981 above).

As a test, I instantiated a ShippingInstructions and persisted it. I then
instantiated another ShippingInstructions and manually copied all the
properties (including the ID) from the persisted instance to the new
instance. I instantiated an Order and set the ShippingInstructions from the
"clone". I persisted the Order and it worked fine. So the
cloned ShippingInstructions object was never associated with an em, but the
persist was successful.

I understand that I can't persist a new entity with a property that is also
a new entity without Cascade.PERSIST, but that is not my case.
Daryl Stultz
6 Degrees Software and Consulting, Inc.