openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Dick <michael.d.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Drop build support for Java 5?
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2009 15:34:23 GMT
Resurrecting this thread.

We're nearing the EOL for the non business version of Java SE 5.0 (business
edition will be available for quite a while - unless the new management
changes the plan) [1] .

When 5.0 goes out of service I'd propose upgrading OpenJPA to require JDK
6.0 to compile. The compiled bytecode can be set to 1.5 if that's a concern.
I'd prefer to have all the modules use jdk 6 to avoid some of the headaches
we had in OpenJPA 1.0.x with supporting 1.4 but we can restrict it to only
the ones that need it (persistence, persistence-jdbc) if that's more
amenable.

In addition we can set up a new integration module which runs a subset of
tests with Java 5. It will be optional (since Java 5 won't be readily
available in 3 months), but at least we'd have some barometer for whether
OpenJPA works in that environment. We'll have to do some classpath swizzling
(like we did for 1.4 in the 1.0.x stream) but it *should* be possible.

Thoughts, objections, stuff I've missed?

[1] http://java.sun.com/products/archive/eol.policy.html

-mike