openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Dick <michael.d.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SingleFieldManager.preFlushPC
Date Fri, 28 Aug 2009 17:46:47 GMT

<snip>

Michael Dick wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Daryl Stultz <daryl@6degrees.com> wrote:
>
>> Thus far the exception has occurred on 2 different properties of my main
>> entity (ShippingInstructions and, I don't know, "ShippedBy"). In both
>> cases
>> ShippingInstructions and ShippedBy were entites already existing in the
>> database. This is indicated by the primary key that follows the
>> "FailedObject" (1981 above).
>>
>> As a test, I instantiated a ShippingInstructions and persisted it. I then
>> instantiated another ShippingInstructions and manually copied all the
>> properties (including the ID) from the persisted instance to the new
>> instance. I instantiated an Order and set the ShippingInstructions from
>> the
>> "clone". I persisted the Order and it worked fine. So the
>> cloned ShippingInstructions object was never associated with an em, but
>> the
>> persist was successful.
>>
>> I understand that I can't persist a new entity with a property that is
>> also
>> a new entity without Cascade.PERSIST, but that is not my case.
>

> So you do have Cascade.PERSIST set? Otherwise the scenario above should
> fail. I haven't gone back and reviewed the earlier threads, just ignore
> this
> part if it's already been covered.

After reading the preceding paragraphs again i think I understand what
you're saying, sorry for any confusion..

The scenario you've described doesn't sound right (maybe I need a
refresher). The new ShippingInstructions object should be unmanaged unless
you've managed to inject a StateManager into it (which would be a good
trick).

Out of idle curiosity do you have any properties set in persistence.xml? Or
should I be able to reproduce this with OpenJPA's default configuration?

-mike