openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Message for commit on behalf of someone should be informative
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2009 16:57:32 GMT
Here are the ASF suggested guidelines -

http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html#applying-patches

"You need to make sure that the commit message contains at least the
name of the contributor and ideally a reference to the Bugzilla or JIRA
issue where the patch was submitted. The reasons: this preserves the
legal trail and makes sure that contributors are recognized. Obviously,
the latter doesn't mean it's not a good idea to list the names of all
contributors somewhere on the website. To make it easier to "grep" for
commits with patches from contributors, always use the same pattern in
the commit message. Traditionally, we use "Submitted by: <name>" or
"Obtained from: <name>"."

Personally, I like to use the "contributed by" text, but don't care what
format people use, as long as the contributors name is included.

-Donald

Personally, I don't care as long as