openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Yawn, Mike" <my...@ebay.com>
Subject Architectural overview (how to get started targeting a new persistence back-end) ?
Date Mon, 27 Jul 2009 15:38:36 GMT
I'm curious as to whether there are any presentations or other architectural-level overviews
that aren't readily apparent from browsing the OpenJPA site.   In particular, I'm looking
to get a better high-level understanding of the OpenJPA architecture, in order to be able
to scope out what sort of effort would be involved in plugging a new provider into OpenJPA.

Areas where I think I'd need to extend what is currently there include:

-          subclassing the Entity parsing code to support additional annotations that we've
added beyond the JPA standard

-          subclassing the data model classes to add attributes corresponding to the additional
annotations

-          implementing our own EntityManager to be a fa├žade to our existing data layer back
end

But I suspect I've only scratched the surface of what would actually be needed, so I'm wondering
if there is some sort of a general overview of the roles & responsibilities of a persistence
provider in an OpenJPA implementation, that I could use as a checklist for scoping everything
we would need to provide.

Thanks for any pointers / references.

Mike Yawn

eBay Inc.