openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin S Vera-Tudela <bveratud...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Questions about OpenJPA issues
Date Fri, 12 Jun 2009 22:34:28 GMT

Craig,

The reason I use the SessionBean is exactly for what you mention. That is,
I don't want to write the transaction begin/commit within try/catch/finally
as I like to think that session beans are used to encapsulate my business
logic within transaction boundaries. Is this approach correct?

Please note that I get the "openjpa.jdbc.Schema - Existing column "CODE" on
table "APP.PROMOTION" is incompatible with the same column in the given
schema definition" error message for pretty much every field in my tables
(entities). I just pasted one of them in my previous note to keep the
message short.

My orm.xml file is pretty much empty:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<entity-mappings xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence/orm"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence/orm
http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence/orm_1_0.xsd" version="1.0">
</entity-mappings>

My persistence.xml file is as follows (I've tried switching from
transaction-type={JTA | RESOURCE_LOCAL} but from reading some articles, it
sounds like I should be using the latter option, is this correct?)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<persistence version="1.0" xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence"
http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence/persistence_1_0.xsd">.
      <persistence-unit name="MyDataAppJPA"
transaction-type="RESOURCE_LOCAL">
            <jta-data-source>MyDataAppSource</jta-data-source>
            <non-jta-data-source>MyDataAppNoTxSource</non-jta-data-source>

            <class>com.data.jpa.Account</class>
            <class>com.data.jpa.AccountCustomer</class>
            <class>com.data.jpa.Address</class>
            <class>com.data.jpa.Promotion</class>
            <!-- exclude-unlisted-classes>true</exclude-unlisted-classes
-->

            <properties>
value="org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver"/>.
                  <property name="openjpa.ConnectionURL"
value="jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/testdb"/>
                  <!-- property name="openjpa.TransactionMode"
value="managed"/ -->
                  <property name="openjpa.ConnectionFactoryMode"
value="managed"/>>
                  <property name="openjpa.jdbc.DBDictionary"
value="derby"/>
                  <property name="openjpa.jdbc.DBDictionary"
value="org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.sql.DerbyDictionary"/>
                  <property name="openjpa.jdbc.Schema" value="APP"/>
value="buildSchema(SchemaAction='add',ForeignKeys=true)"/>
                  <!-- property name="openjpa.jdbc.SynchronizeMappings"
value="buildSchema(ForeignKeys=false)"/ -->
                  <property name="openjpa.Sequence" value="table
(Table=OPENJPASEQ, Increment=100)"/>
                  <!-- property name="openjpa.Log"
value="DefaultLevel=TRACE"/ -->
            </properties>
      </persistence-unit>
</persistence>

Here is my SQL table definition:

CREATE TABLE Promotion (
            product_id INTEGER NOT NULL,
            start_date DATE NOT NULL,
            end_date DATE NOT NULL,
            code CHAR(8),
            discount SMALLINT NOT NULL,,
            message VARCHAR(1024),
            broadcast CHAR(5)
      );

Here is the Promotion class:,,

package com.data.jpa;

import java.io.Serializable;,,
import java.sql.Date;

import javax.persistence.Column;
import javax.persistence.Entity;
import javax.persistence.Id;
import javax.persistence.IdClass;

@Entity
@IdClass(PromotionPK.class)
public class Promotion implements Serializable {
      @Id
      @Column(name="PRODUCT_ID", insertable=false, updatable=false)
      private int productId;

      @Id
      @Column(name="START_DATE")
      private Date startDate;

      @Id
      @Column(name="END_DATE")
      private Date endDate;

      private String code;;
      private short discount;)
      private String message;)
      private String broadcast;)

      public Promotion() {
            super();
      }

      // getters and setters follow
}

Benjamin S. Vera-Tudela
SWG Middleware Strategy
Ph: (512)-286-9073 T/L 363-9073
E-Mail: bveratudela@us.ibm.com>

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@Sun.COM>

|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |dev@openjpa.apache.org

|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |06/12/2009 05:11 PM

|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: Questions about OpenJPA issues

Hi Benjamin,

If you access OpenJPA from your servlet directly, then you use the
EntityTransaction to begin and commit transactions. But if you delegate to
a SessionBean, the bean's transaction properties begin and commit
transactions without your writing any code.

With regard to the schema mismatch, without seeing the orm metadata and the
table definition it's hard to figure out where the problem is. The apache
servers remove attachments from emails. Can you try pasting the text of the
orm definition and the class definition for the Promotion class into the
message?

Regards,

Craig