openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Dick <michael.d.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 80-column line width & auto-generated model classes
Date Fri, 05 Jun 2009 16:44:51 GMT
On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Pinaki Poddar <ppoddar@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
> > Are the files generated during the build process or are they committed to
> > SVN?
> They are committed to SVN. Other Junit Test code needs them at
> development/compile time.

Why can't we run the tool to generate the code during the build? Ideally
after running checkstyle, but if we can't do that then we can always disable
the check.

> > I think they should comply before we commit them.
>
> They are generated by an automatic source code writer. The writer/code
> generator does not  have a notion of line length limit during output. To
> enforce it via that code generator is neither trivial for the way it emits
> different code elements nor I have bandwidth to invest. If compliance to
> line length limit is paramount, then whichever issue (I still could not
> find
> that JIRA) is handling that task may take that up.

I think that compliance to code conventions is paramount for anything we
commit to SVN. What the line length is set to is debatable, but if it's
committed then it should conform.

<snip>

-mike