openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Curtis <curti...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 80-column line width & auto-generated model classes
Date Fri, 05 Jun 2009 14:33:29 GMT

+1

I think that we need to enforce some sort of coding standards, but I don't
think we should be blindly enforcing conventions that are out of date. Take
a look at the 'official' Sun code conventions [1] and note that they haven't
been updated since April 20, 1999. I particularly like the reason for the
80-column line [2]... 'Avoid lines longer than 80 characters, since they're
not handled well by many terminals and tools.'

[1] http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/
[2] http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConventions.doc3.html#313