openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Apache trademarks on OpenJPA web site
Date Mon, 18 May 2009 21:10:16 GMT
Hi Larry,

On May 18, 2009, at 10:45 AM, Lawrence Rosen wrote:

> 3. Trademarks should be used as adjectives, not nouns. So the
> following
> sentence is incorrect trademark usage: "OpenJPA's unit tests are
> written
> using JUnit." Consider rewriting as "Unit tests for Apache OpenJPA
> persistence project software are written using the JUnit testing
> framework."
> Always assume that customers have to be taught to associate the
> trademark
> with the noun in modifies. Once they've done that in their minds,
> then you
> have a very valuable trademark.
>
> /Larry

You've reminded me of the trademark rules that have given most
engineers angina: that trademarks are not nouns but adjectives. This
little trick is what makes normal text look like legalese once lawyers
get hold of it.

Where we say "OpenJPA is Apache's implementation of Sun's Java
Persistence API (JPA) specification for the transparent persistence of
Java objects. This document provides an overview of the JPA standard
and technical details on the use of OpenJPA." we would have to say,
instead, "OpenJPA software is Apache's implementation of Sun's Java
Persistence API (JPA) specification for the transparent persistence of
Java objects. This document provides an overview of the JPA standard
and technical details on the use of OpenJPA software."

Did I get this right?

Thanks,

Craig