openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Dick <michael.d.d...@gmail.com>
Subject System.out.println in test cases
Date Thu, 28 May 2009 03:02:47 GMT
Hi all,

In the most recent commit for OPENJPA-1015 (code conventions for testcases)
I noticed there are a lot of System.out.println statements in our testcases.

Are the printlns really useful to anyone? The only reason I can see for
having them is if the testcase requires some manual interpretation to ensure
it passes or fails (generally a sign that you need to rewrite the testcase).
At best they take up time formatting Strings and writing out to the console
all of which is ignored by the build (or builder).

Is there a good and compelling reason why we keep adding these in? Adding
assert() and fail() checks makes sense - but dumping a bunch of diag info by
default seems wasteful to me.

-mike