openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Dick <michael.d.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Turn off enhancement by subclassing as the default
Date Thu, 21 May 2009 02:40:50 GMT
RuntimeUnenhancedClasses=unsupported is the proposed solution.

Currently there are 14 known issues [1] with unenhanced classes. I'm sure
there are other unreported issues, and questions on the mailing lists that
could have turned into issues, but that's largely academic.

I think the long term goal is to get to a single strategy : bytecode
enhancement or subclassing. Once we've chosen one we should make that
strategy as easy to use, functional and perform as well as possible.
Maintaining two strategies is not cost effective. I have mixed feelings
about which is the better strategy long term though.

The known issues with subclassing and behavioral differences lead me to
think that it should be disabled by default at least until the known issues
are resolved. The function need not be forgotten, but I don't think it's
ready to be the default behavior yet.

[1]
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&pid=12310351&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&component=12312835

Regards,