openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Time to create a openjpa-all Jar?
Date Wed, 06 May 2009 12:43:25 GMT
Thanks for the input.  Replies in-line below.

-Donald

Michael Dick wrote:
> Hi Donald,
>
> I hate when people respond like this. I know we talked about renaming
> openjpa-all to openjpa at some point in the past but we ran into some
> issue(s) with doing so. I haven't been able to find the relevant emails
> though.
>
> So bearing that in mind I think this sounds like a good idea. I don't
> particularly like the mismatch between the maven artifact name and the
> directory name either.
>
> I think I'd prefer a different name for the new (and improved) openjpa-all
> directory though. Maybe openjpa-bundle or openjpa-osgi. Something to
> differentiate it from the old name seems like a good idea to me.

I was thinking openjpa-all to match how other projects name their
artifacts.  Some projects create <project>.jar which contains all
depends and then a <project>-nodeps.jar or <project>-core.jar for the
minimal subset, but we don't want to rename our main artifact and impact
downstream consumers.  Also, the goal is to eventually add the OSGi
bundle metadata to both artifacts (openjpa and openjpa-all) so creating
a openjpa-osgi or openjpa-bundle artifact would be confusing if it also
contained all the depends.

> Regarding this module, where are you drawing the line regarding which
> dependencies to include? If we were to include commons-dbcp in our binary
> distribution would that be included in the new osgi bundle? What about spec
> jars etc.? I'm just curious how bare bones we want to be with the osgi
> bundle.

I'm using the maven-shade-plugin to pull in all of the depends listed in
the current openjpa-all/pom.xml (which would become the openjpa/pom.xml)
and adding an exclude for postgresql.  That way, whenever we add new
depends to the main openjpa artifact, they will be automatically
included in the openjpa-all artifact.