openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Pinaki Poddar <ppod...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenJPA examples need OSGi!
Date Wed, 27 May 2009 17:51:53 GMT

Hi David,
   This discussion also brings up a more generic point.
   As a group we should adhere to the discipline of bringing *any*
dependency upon build/test/runtime *after* discussing it in the appropriate
forum. The process of A stumbling upon B's commit to notice such 'dependency
injection' is inherently non-sustainable.

  Do other members agree that, in future, before we need to any dependency,
we validate/discuss it in the group?

  Regards --

Pinaki Poddar wrote:

> Hi,
>   Noticed that some recent changes made OpenJPA HelloWorld to depend upon
> OSGi.
> Impressive but questionable change.
>
>   And the example JavaDoc says:
> /**
>  * A very simple, stand-alone program that stores a new entity in the
>  * database and then performs a query to retrieve it.
>  */
>

>   The classic "Hello World" was built on KISS -- and that principle still
> remains valid especially for getting started examples. A separate example
> should be constructed to demonstrate OSGi integration capability.

-----
Pinaki Poddar                      http://ppoddar.blogspot.com/

http://www.linkedin.com/in/pinakipoddar
OpenJPA PMC Member/Committer