openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Pinaki Poddar <ppod...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Turn off enhancement by subclassing as the default
Date Wed, 20 May 2009 22:45:11 GMT

Hi Kevin,

  +1 on 1.3 if you mean "turn off" as
openjpa.RuntimeUnenhancedClasses=unsupported.

I am rather ambivalent about trunk though.

Few more aspects that we should take note of:
  1. We must recognize the core notion behind runtime enhancement is a
strong and useful feature.

  2. The available support has its flaws (which is the reason for this
discussion being resurrected) -- but more importantly, we do not know the
footprint of the incompleteness of this feature. Given that we run our test
corpus on enhanced classes only, we basically wait till a user's report is
diagnosed as yet another bug caused by this feature.

  3. "Turning it off" has the risk of this powerful feature being
"forgotten" -- if it turns out so, it will not be a desirable outcome.

-----
Pinaki Poddar                      http://ppoddar.blogspot.com/

http://www.linkedin.com/in/pinakipoddar
OpenJPA PMC Member/Committer