openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Pinaki Poddar <ppod...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Propose additional uses for openjpa-integration
Date Wed, 20 May 2009 22:31:39 GMT

Hi Donald,
  If primary motivation for this proposal is to speed up the test execution
-- I support that. But I do not like the idea of splitting test corpus in
smaller buckets to achieve that goal or reflecting this goal on project
module structure.
 There is a need for sure to be able to run a subset of tests while a
development is focused on a relatively isolated aspect. But I have seen it
many a times that a rather innocuous change in one part of the software
propagates in its impact to an apparently unrelated segment (and this
behavior is generic to *any* discreet system, not only to OpenJPA). That is
the downside risk if we promote test corpus to be spread/split.

DWoods wrote:

> There are two scenarios that I'd like us to consider using the
> openjpa-integration component for testing in trunk -
>
> 1) Validation - using a new integration subproject to test our optional
> bean validation support against one or more providers.  This will allow
> us to keep the junits in openjpa-persistence-jdbc focused on the default
> no validator scenarios.
>
> 2) Lock/Timeout testing - moving most of the lockmgr and lock/query
> timeout tests out of openjpa-persistence-jdbc to a new integration
> subproject to reduce the time required to run the main-line tests
>
> Both of the above subprojects would be setup to always run in the tests
> goal, so top-level builds would still run all of the existing plus new
> junits.
>

> A future scenario to consider, would be moving DB specific tests (that
> target a single DB like Oracle, DB2, ...) into integration subprojects,
> so every junit that remains in openjpa-persistence-jdbc is always active
> (not excluded in surefire or skipped due to the DBDictionary) and should
> always pass on every supported DB.
>

> -Donald

-----
Pinaki Poddar                      http://ppoddar.blogspot.com/