openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Bauer <techhu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Summer of code project - OpenJPA 2.0 Sample Suite
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2009 20:53:54 GMT
Thanks, Martin.  Google let me through this time.  :-)

Your proposal looks good.  It has well defined time line and goals, one of
them being an educational/learning/gathering phase - which is very
important.  Your second phase which includes more basic samples may be a bit
off the core goal (providing samples for JPA 2.0 and OpenJPA extensions)
though.  I think basic examples should be limited since there is a lot of
information and examples (although not many OpenJPA specific) available on
those more fundamental topics.  Instead, placing more focus on examples
specific to new function in JPA 2.0 and OpenJPA extensions would help users
get up to speed more quickly on those features.  As a bonus, you'll learn
more about JPA 2.0 and cool OpenJPA features.  :-)   The basic features will
very likely get used in these more complex samples, so the basic concepts
will be there - they just won't be the main goal of the samples.  I'm
certain that Rick and other folks in the community can help come up with
sample ideas and a plan for making them available.

Since the deadline is tomorrow, if you'd like to update the proposal with
some JPA 2.0 & OpenJPA sample ideas, here are some off the top of my head:
(others, please feel free to chime in as well)

JPA 2.0
------------
- Using nested embeddables, embeddable collections, and relationships within
embeddables
- Using the Criteria API to programatically generate and execute typesafe
queries
- Using new explicit access definitions on persistent classes
- Using derived identity
- Enhanced support for map collections
- Using the L2 cache and cache configuration
- Using new features of JPQL
- Using order column to maintain ordered collections

OpenJPA
- Samples that do build-time enhancement using ant and maven
- Using fetch groups to customize query behavior
- Creating custom strategies and externalizers
- Overriding an existing and/or creating a custom database dictionary

-Jeremy