openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Dick <michael.d.d...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] refactor @AllowFailure
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2009 15:30:14 GMT
Hi all,

The AllowFailure annotation is very useful in that it allows specific test
methods to be ignored during a typical Maven build.

The implementation, however is rather confusing as a "clean" build of
OpenJPA will typically contain several stack traces from exceptions. Running
these optional tests that currently do not pass just consumes CPU cycles
that could be better spent elsewhere.

I propose refactoring @AllowFailure to be called @OptionalTest (or just
@Optional) and updating the supporting methods in PersistenceTestCase so
that test methods (or classes) annotated with @OptionalTest are skipped
unless a jvm system property is true (ie -Dopenjpa.optional.tests=true).

I think this will save everyone's CPU cycles without violating the intent of
@AllowFailure. In addition with this change we could resurrect the changes
for OPENJPA-770 and we could clean up the root pom.xml a bit.

Anyone else have strong opinions about @AllowFailure?

-mike