openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Curtis <curti...@gmail.com>
Subject Large result set problem on MySQL
Date Fri, 10 Apr 2009 16:54:17 GMT

Yesterday I was looking into large result sets and it appears that they don't work as implemented/documented(?).
I did some googling around [1] and found a number of posts talking about how setFetchSize
isn't being honored, some dating back as far as 2002. The MySQL docs [2] states "When using
versions of the JDBC driver earlier than 3.2.1, and connected to server versions earlier than
5.0.3, the setFetchSize() method has no effect, other than to toggle result set streaming
as described above.". The doc outlines some additional instructions on how to create a statement
that is going to allow a streaming result set. After moving to a newer JDBC driver, I wrote
a simple test using JDBC and it does work properly. Below is a snippet of the code [3] that
I used to test this with JDBC, but I wasn't able to figure out how to make OpenJPA do the
same.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

[1] Google "mysql jdbc setFetchSize"
[2]http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/connector-j-reference-implementation-notes.html
[3]
stmt = conn.createStatement(java.sql.ResultSet.TYPE_FORWARD_ONLY,java.sql.ResultSet.CONCUR_READ_ONLY);
stmt.setFetchSize(Integer.MIN_VALUE);