openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From ArjunReddy <interviewp...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: OpenJPA plugin for Eclipse?
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2009 04:26:58 GMT

Hi Mike,

So without the plugin, we cannot maintain the same state of the database in our pojo classes?
In hibernate we do not need any such plugin for this to happen right or do we need? Also I
do not find any download link here :( http://people.apache.org/~ppoddar/eclipse/ ,

Thanks.

Hi Arjun,

I'm not fluent enough at this hour to give you many details. At least not
without giving you another link [1] :-).

In JPA a single row in a table is represented by a plain old java object
called an Entity. OpenJPA keeps track of the changes the application makes
to an entity in order to be intelligent when it issues SQL to your database
(among other things). We do that by enhancing the entities (effectively we
take your compiled bytecode and weave in some additional logic).

Normally you'd have to run a special tool after compiling your classes.
Pinaki's Eclipse plugin ties in to the Eclipse compiler and eliminates that
step. There are also ant tasks and maven plugins which do much the same
thing.

I've really only gotten you started with enhancement and OpenJPA. There's a
lot to cover, but feel free to ask questions here or on
users@openjpa.apache.org.

-mike