openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Bauer <techhu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Drop build support for Java 5?
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:17:06 GMT
+1 for pulling the plug on Java 5 in trunk.  We are on a major release
boundary with 2.0, so now would be the time to do it.

Moving to Java 6: (good)
- Meets JPA 2.0 JSE 6 annotation processing requirement
- Fewer Java versions to support (and less confusion regarding build vs.
runtime Java version requirements)
- The ability to naturally (no version checks, reflection, etc.) use new
Java 6 features such as JDBC 4

Continue providing compile support for Java 5: (bad)
- Additional requirement of making sure OpenJPA builds on both versions of
Java
- Inability to easily use new Java 6 features without version checks and
such
- Multiple code paths to maintain for version specific code

I agree that if we pull the plug on Java 5, there should be some sort of
announce & time period that gives folks ample time to prepare.  One or two
months seems reasonable.

-Jeremy