openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Sutter <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Drop build support for Java 5?
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2009 18:07:56 GMT
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Donald Woods <dwoods@apache.org> wrote:

> Why do we need to support Java 5 users with OpenJPA 2.0?
> If someone wants to continue using Java 5 after it's end-of-service date
> this year, then they can continue using one of the 1.0.x/1.1.x/1.2.x/1.3.x
> branches....
>
> Don't see why we need to bend over backwards for Java 5, consider the JPA2
> Spec is part of the JEE6 Spec, which requires Java 6 or later.

Fair point, Donald.  I was just thinking that since a JPA provider is not
necessarily tied to the container, there may be some environments where "JPA
as a utility" needs to be usable with Java 5.  But, as you point out, then
maybe we should just point to previous releases.  I could be convinced...
:-)

Kevin