openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Dick <michael.d.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Drop build support for Java 5?
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2009 19:29:29 GMT
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Pinaki Poddar <ppoddar@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>  > This also meets my needs for a stable platform to run a new
>  > personality without the new Java 6 dependencies.
>   The current update in trunk runs a configuration that builds OpenJPA
> libraries with JDK6 compiler. But other configuration compiles and runs our
> test corpus with JDK5. I do not think we have a configuration that compiles
> OpenJPA with JDK6, compiles test cases with JDK5 and runs test cases with
> JDK5. May be we should create one. Such configuration will simulate the
> target JDK5 user environment with JDK6-compiled OpenJPA where the test case
> will play the equivalent role of user application.
>  (Mike/Jeremy, are you tuned to this channel?)

This is easier said than done. Depending on how strict one wants to be. If
we rely on the compiler settings (source=1.5, target=1.5) when we compile
the testcases then at worst we'd have to add a separate maven module for
JDK5 testcases.

As we've seen in the past with JDK 1.4 this won't necessarily suffice. We
may need to do some additional tweaking to put the 1.5 class libraries on
the classpath, or (even more strict) we may need to rebuild with maven's
JAVA_HOME set differently.

I'd be fine with the first approach as part of a normal build (provided it
doesn't double execution time). Either of the later two would need to be
optional (like we did with jdk 1.4).

> > mission statement for OpenJPA
> > "to the implementation of object persistence, including, but not
> > limited to, Java Persistence API, for distribution at no charge to the
>  public;"
>
> I fully agree and support this view. Compliance to a spec is a necessary
> but not sufficient condition for sustainable interest in a project of
> OpenJPA's scope and breadth. Also one of the strongest feature of OpenJPA is
> its 'agnostic architecture' to promote the above charter.
> As a group we will benefit if we keep the charter in mind and consider
> possibilities to augment OpenJPA functionality that are beyond a standard
> specification.

I agree that the agnostic architecture is a strength of OpenJPA and one that
we can leverage to promote additional solutions in the ORM space. That said
we are a JPA provider first and foremost and there are limits to the
contortions that the "core" OpenJPA engine should make to support other
persistence frameworks. Especially those that have not been contributed to
Apache.

To put it another way, our default behavior should be as JPA-like as
possible with the option for other frameworks to change the configuration to
suit their needs.

<snip>

> > 3. If the above appears to be a worthwhile target scenario to
> > support, then the dynamic class construction approach perhaps can
> > prove useful than hand-coding JDBC 4 dependency.
>
> > 4. We take a decision regarding these aspects by mid-April and
> > announce it to be effective from, say, mid-June. I am not keen on
> > exact duration of the prior notice but 2 months looked to be
> > reasonable.

Fair enough. My concern lies mainly with the dynamic class construction and
the impact on performance. Introducing additional code path in order to
support a backleveled JDK seems wrong to me. Maybe I'm too anxious to be on
the bleeding edge.

-mike

<more message history snipped>