openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Dick <michael.d.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Drop build support for Java 5?
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2009 18:31:16 GMT
Comments below.

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Pinaki Poddar <ppoddar@apache.org> wrote:

> It will be a fair assumption that OpenJPA version x.y that is compliant to
> official JPA 2.0 based *only on* JDK6 will not generate too much discomfort
> of the user. Because the adventurous type who will upgrade to JPA 2.0 will
> be on JDK6 anyway by then. Also the time frame of JDK5 eol and OpenJPA x.y
> will kind of match.
>
> Few points regarding such a change :
> 1. The eol of JDK5 support for OpenJPA should be announced at
> http://openjpa.apache.org/ at least 2 months prior to its actual
> occurrence.

What's the significance of 2 months? I agree that there should be some
length of time before we make the change - just wondering if there's a
reason for that particular timeframe.

2. The change should be across a major version upgrade of OpenJPA.

+1. In a minor release I could see using the dynamic approach that Pinaki
committed last night or some other hybrid approach. I can't see any way we'd
consider this change for patch releases.

> 3. The upgrade to JDK6 via dynamically generated JDBC artifacts should be
> temporary. Before we pull the plug on JDK5 support for OpenJPA publicly
> (i.e. on a released version), we should follow a concrete implementation
> (OPENJPA-6?) approach for JDBC artifacts.

+1. The dynamically generated JDBC artifacts are primarily a bridge for the
2 month interval discussed above.

Per the discussion with OPENJPA-5 [1], the question of continuing support of