openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Drop build support for Java 5?
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2009 19:38:27 GMT

On Mar 27, 2009, at 10:04 AM, Albert Lee wrote:

> Are there any products relying on using the trunk for building
> personalities
> other than JPA 2.0?

I'm looking right now at adding a personality that would not require
any of the new shiny Java 6 dynamic class compile features. I'd prefer
that we not unduly burden the majority of the code base with Java 6.

Also, database users are notoriously biased in favor of stability over
features, and I can imagine many current users continuing to run their
systems on their well-tested Java 5 runtimes for some time.

Changing the build to generate Java 6 binaries for all components
seems to have negative consequences.

If we vote, I'd vote to build components that run on Java 5 where
possible.

Craig

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com