openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Drop build support for Java 5?
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2009 22:08:38 GMT
Hi Pinaki,

On Mar 27, 2009, at 2:40 PM, Pinaki Poddar wrote:

> my $0.017 cents (because economy is not in good shape)
>
> 1. We should not pull the plug of JDK5 with a jerk, but slowly. Let
> us investigate whether we can support the scenario where
>  a) we compile OpenJPA with Java 6 compiler
>  b) but the application compiles with Java 5 compiler and runs in
> JRE 5 runtime.
> Such a scenario will provide us forward movement without causing
> inconvenience to existing users who may have valid reasons of not
> upgrading to Java 6 in immediate future but like to use JPA 2.0
> features.

This also meets my needs for a stable platform to run a new
personality without the new Java 6 dependencies.

> 2. The adventurous ones who venture into canonical meta-model
> generation with JPA 2.0 annotation processing and shiny/fancy stuff
> like that, will likely to be in Java 6 already

+1

> (if not Java 7)

which doesn't exist on any road map (unless you're really talking
about JDK7 which is not a standard but a product that doesn't yet
exist in production)

> and, if not, they must make Common Annotation JSR libraries
> available to the compiler.

+1

> But we should not expand our effort to support such functionality on
> the basis of com.sun.mirror API and/or apt command-line tool.

I'm not familiar enough with these tools to comment, but it does seem
wrong to depend on any com.sun packages.

> 3. If the above appears to be a worthwhile target scenario to
> support, then the dynamic class construction approach perhaps can
> prove useful than hand-coding JDBC 4 dependency.
>
> 4. We take a decision regarding these aspects by mid-April and
> announce it to be effective from, say, mid-June. I am not keen on
> exact duration of the prior notice but 2 months looked to be
> reasonable.
>

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Donald Woods <dwoods@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Why do we need to support Java 5 users with OpenJPA 2.0?
>> If someone wants to continue using Java 5 after it's end-of-service
>> date
>> this year, then they can continue using one of the 1.0.x/1.1.x/
>> 1.2.x/1.3.x
>> branches....
>>
>> Don't see why we need to bend over backwards for Java 5, consider
>> the JPA2
>> Spec is part of the JEE6 Spec, which requires Java 6 or later.

If you read the mission statement for OpenJPA, it's not to be the
reference implementation for JPA but to be broader in scope:

interests of the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's
purpose to establish a Project, to be known as Apache OpenJPA, related
to the implementation of object persistence, including, but not
limited to, Java Persistence API, for distribution at no charge to the
public;

And the case I'm interested in is not related to Java 6 features at all.

If we decide that some parts of OpenJPA require a Java 6 runtime,
that's ok. We decided that it wasn't worthwhile to continue to split
out Java5, since many components in OpenJPA can benefit from Java 5
features (especially the old shiny template classes). But the broad
benefit of Java 6 is not obvious to me.

Craig