openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: svn commit: r751910 - in /openjpa/trunk: openjpa-kernel/src/main/java/org/apache/openjpa/conf/ openjpa-kernel/src/main/java/org/apache/openjpa/kernel/ openjpa-kernel/src/main/java/org/apache/openjpa/meta/ openjpa-persistence-jdbc/src/test/java/org/apac...
Date Wed, 11 Mar 2009 18:53:53 GMT
Hi Pinaki,

On Mar 11, 2009, at 10:46 AM, Pinaki Poddar wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>  We are in difficult position if JPA Spec *does not* change the method
> signature to return the detached instance (be it a copy or the
> original). I
> had mailed to Kevin (and now you:) to place such a request with JPA
> Spec
> committee so that OpenJPA can remain backward compatible.

I can see an advantage in *not* being backward compatible. If backward
compatible, the application silently fails if the user doesn't read
the release notes and doesn't change the configuration.

So it might actually be an advantage to throw an exception (signature
mismatch) if the user just tries to run with the new incompatible
signature OpenJPA implementation.

Craig