openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Pinaki Poddar <ppod...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Drop build support for Java 5?
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:40:01 GMT

my $0.017 cents (because economy is not in good shape)

1. We should not pull the plug of JDK5 with a jerk, but slowly. Let us investigate whether
we can support the scenario where
  a) we compile OpenJPA with Java 6 compiler
  b) but the application compiles with Java 5 compiler and runs in JRE 5 runtime.
Such a scenario will provide us forward movement without causing inconvenience to existing
users who may have valid reasons of not upgrading to Java 6 in immediate future but like to
use JPA 2.0 features.

2. The adventurous ones who venture into canonical meta-model generation with JPA 2.0 annotation
processing and shiny/fancy stuff like that, will likely to be in Java 6 already (if not Java
7) and, if not, they must make Common Annotation JSR libraries available to the compiler.
But we should not expand our effort to support such functionality on the basis of com.sun.mirror
API and/or apt command-line tool.

3. If the above appears to be a worthwhile target scenario to support, then the dynamic class
construction approach perhaps can prove useful than hand-coding JDBC 4 dependency.

4. We take a decision regarding these aspects by mid-April and announce it to be effective
from, say, mid-June. I am not keen on exact duration of the prior notice but 2 months looked
to be reasonable.

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Donald Woods <dwoods@apache.org> wrote:

> Why do we need to support Java 5 users with OpenJPA 2.0?
> If someone wants to continue using Java 5 after it's end-of-service date
> this year, then they can continue using one of the 1.0.x/1.1.x/1.2.x/1.3.x
> branches....
>
> Don't see why we need to bend over backwards for Java 5, consider the JPA2
> Spec is part of the JEE6 Spec, which requires Java 6 or later.

Fair point, Donald.  I was just thinking that since a JPA provider is not
necessarily tied to the container, there may be some environments where "JPA
as a utility" needs to be usable with Java 5.  But, as you point out, then
maybe we should just point to previous releases.  I could be convinced...
:-)

Kevin

> -Donald
>

> Kevin Sutter wrote:
>
>> Are there any concerns with building with Java 6 and running in a Java 5
>> environment?  Will this just "work" out of the box?  Or, do we need to
>> build
>> with the -target option to be compatible with Java 5?  Or, do we need to
>> produce both versions?  We still need to support the Java 5 runtime
>> environment, even if we build with Java 6.
>>
>> Kevin
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Jeremy Bauer <techhusky@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  +1 for pulling the plug on Java 5 in trunk.  We are on a major release
>>> boundary with 2.0, so now would be the time to do it.
>>>
>>> Moving to Java 6: (good)
>>> - Meets JPA 2.0 JSE 6 annotation processing requirement
>>> - Fewer Java versions to support (and less confusion regarding build vs.
>>> runtime Java version requirements)
>>> - The ability to naturally (no version checks, reflection, etc.) use new
>>> Java 6 features such as JDBC 4
>>>
>>> Continue providing compile support for Java 5: (bad)
>>> - Additional requirement of making sure OpenJPA builds on both versions
>>> of
>>> Java
>>> - Inability to easily use new Java 6 features without version checks and
>>> such
>>> - Multiple code paths to maintain for version specific code
>>>
>>> I agree that if we pull the plug on Java 5, there should be some sort of
>>> announce & time period that gives folks ample time to prepare.  One or
>>> two
>>> months seems reasonable.
>>>
>>> -Jeremy
>>>
>>> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Kevin Sutter <kwsutter@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Per the discussion with OPENJPA-5 [1], the question of continuing
>>>>
>>> processing

>>> relates

>>> plug

>>> only