openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Pinaki Poddar <ppod...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Drop build support for Java 5?
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2009 17:36:02 GMT

It will be a fair assumption that OpenJPA version x.y that is compliant to official JPA 2.0
based *only on* JDK6 will not generate too much discomfort of the user. Because the adventurous
type who will upgrade to JPA 2.0 will be on JDK6 anyway by then. Also the time frame of JDK5
eol and OpenJPA x.y will kind of match.

Few points regarding such a change :
1. The eol of JDK5 support for OpenJPA should be announced at http://openjpa.apache.org/ at
least 2 months prior to its actual occurrence.
2. The change should be across a major version upgrade of OpenJPA.
3. The upgrade to JDK6 via dynamically generated JDBC artifacts should be temporary. Before
we pull the plug on JDK5 support for OpenJPA publicly (i.e. on a released version), we should
follow a concrete implementation (OPENJPA-6?) approach for JDBC artifacts.

Per the discussion with OPENJPA-5 [1], the question of continuing support of
building with Java 5 has been brought up.  Due to the annotation processing
that will be required for JPA 2.0, the use of Java 6 will become a
requirement for trunk.  But, do we have to continue to support building with
Java 5.  Pinaki has recently committed changes to allow building with either
Java 5 or Java 6, but these changes will affect our code path as it relates
to connection processing.  So, should we bite the bullet and pull the plug
on Java 5 from a build perspective?  This would be for trunk (JPA 2.0) only
and beyond.

Comments, suggestions, complaints are all welcome.

Thanks,
Kevin

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-5

-----