openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Zenzin <zen...@intalio.com>
Subject exact point when DB updates
Date Sat, 28 Feb 2009 19:20:40 GMT
Hi

I'm working with Ingres DB and have experienced some problems with during
update of an entity with BLOB. Our platform tested and works with several
DBMS, such as MySQL, Derby, Oracle, Postgres, Sybase. We use both Hibernate
and OpenJPA (versions 1.1.0 and 1.3.0).

The problem with BLOBs on Ingres comes out when application tries to insert
or update new entity with one BLOB field. At first we thought the problem is
in Ingres JDBC because it does not support scrollable ResultSet when result
contains a BLOB field. But looks like OpenJPA does not need scrollable
cursor for updates. I have compared runtime with MySQL and I as far as I
could see forward, read-only ResultSets are used there.

My question would be: where in OpenJPA code the real update (insert) to DB
is called? How it designed to work with BLOBs (through OutputStream,
java.sql.Blob)?

Thank you,
-Oleg Zenzin