openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <>
Subject Re: Access to Bean Validation provider (JSR-303)
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2009 02:14:11 GMT

On Feb 3, 2009, at 1:55 PM, Kevin Sutter wrote:

> Hi,
> The JPA 2.0 expert group is looking to incorporate Bean Validation
> (JSR-303).  Right now, it looks like we might include it as an
> optional
> feature.  If a Bean Validation provider is available, then the JPA
> provider
> should use it.  Otherwise, it is not a requirement.
> The RI is being developed by Redhat.  There was an Apache Commons
> sandbox
> started for a potential Bean Validator provider, but the activity
> has died
> off.
> So, I'm wondering from an OpenJPA and OpenEJB perspective, what
> should we
> do?  I may be mistaken, but my guess is that the EJB spec is going to
> contain a similar dependency on Bean Validation.  I don't believe
> the RI
> will be directly accessible to us via a Maven dependency.  Does
> anybody know
> of other Bean Validation provider implementations that are in plan?

Hi Kevin,

Still reading through that spec myself.  Started taking a look at it
when you posted.

Doesn't seem that terribly complicated at first blush.

Definitely we can and should make the spec api classes available.
Shouldn't be too hard to hack them up.  Likely we can throw them in
Geronimo with the other specs.

I noticed Bob Lee's name in the spec and recognize a lot of the ideas
from Guice presentations I've seen.  I wonder if they'll be
implementing the API in which case we could get a likely great ASL
licensed version.

View raw message