openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Curtis <curti...@gmail.com>
Subject Improving out of the box performance
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2009 20:20:46 GMT

After reading this
http://terrazadearavaca.blogspot.com/2008/12/jpa-implementations-comparison.html
blog post , I decided to do some performance(ish) testing on my local system
and I also came the conclusion that openJPA isn't the fastest out of the
box(I don't think that's a surprise to anyone). It was easy to get something
working, but it didn't work as fast as it could/should have. Ease of use is
a high priority when a developer is trying out a new technology, but not the
only priority.

A steaming pile that is easy to use, is still a steaming pile. :-)

In an attempt to make openJPA perform better out of the box, I'd like to see
DBCP packaged with openJPA and have the docs updated to stress the use DBCP
rather than a direct DB connection. This won't add much in the way of
complexity, but it will help the performance greatly. I wrote a blog post
about this very topic that can be found
http://webspherepersistence.blogspot.com/2009/01/jpa-connection-pooling.html
here .

Any thoughts?